Go Study Australia

All you need to know regarding the travelling bans and your visa status

This blog is written in collaboration with Granger Australia Visa Solutions (Mara # 0318801). Should you have any questions, fill out the form below and we will connect you to our migration and education experts.

We know this is a tough time for all international travellers in Australia. The recent travel global bans mean up to 2 million tourists and working holiday visa holders will be forced to stay in Australia.

At Go Study, we have expert counsellors able to support you step by step and guide you through this delicate journey. Before you make any decision, which may affect your current visa or situation, please contact us and seek advice. Our support is free of charge!

Let’s start with some basic FAQs and news!

There is much confusion, fake news and wrong information running around the social media, let’s give some clear points:

How does the travel ban work? From 9pm AEDT 20 March 2020, people can enter in Australia only if:

  • Australian citizen
  • Permanent resident
  • A New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
  • Immediate family member (spouse, dependents and legal guardians)

How long will the travel ban last?

There is no indication about the timeframe.
It is fake news or misinterpretation that the travel ban has been announced as a 6-month ban.
It is likely that the ban will long as needed to keep the Virus spread under control.

Can I fly out of the country?

Yes you can, however there are many considerations that may affect you getting home such as

  • Most airlines have reduced their flights to save costs and there may not be affordable flights home.
  • Many other countries also have travel bans, and if you need to stop over at another country, you may not be able to get to where you need to be.

It’s very likely that you may need to make plans to stay in Australia and enjoy your time here.

If you are in Australia and you hold a temporary visa such as: Student Visa, Working Holiday 417 – Work and Holiday 462 – Tourist visa, expiring soon and you want to stay longer in Australia, you must apply for a new visa before your current visa expires.  If you don’t you will not be compliant and may face severe penalties.