Go Study Australia

The Department of Home Affairs is offering a Free Translating Service that can be used by most permanent and some temporary residents, including students.

The translations will be certified and suitable for many official purposes in Australia. The documents will be translated by a translator credentialed by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). 

Who can use the Free Translating Service?

In order to have access to the service you must meet the following conditions:

  • Have a subclass visa included in the following list. (The student visa subclass 500 is included in the list!)
  • Your last visa must have been granted within the previous two years. Meaning that you have two years from the date of your visa grant to access it. 
  • You must not have previously exhausted the allowable limit of 10 translated documents. Meaning that you can only translate 10 documents, once you reach the limit you can not use this service anymore.

How can I get documents translated for free?

You need to complete 4 easy steps in the application form and upload the following files (scanned and good-quality photos are accepted):

  • Your passport or ImmiCard;
  • Your visa grant notice or VEVO entitlement check;
  • The documents you need translated.

Once you have lodged your application, you will receive an instant acknowledgement email with your application number. Your application will then be assessed against the eligibility criteria within one to two business days, and you will be notified by email of the outcome.You will receive by email the completed translation within 30 calendar days of its approval. (The actual processing time might be significantly less than 30 days).

Upon delivery of the translations by email, you can also request paper originals to be posted to you by normal, untracked mail free of charge. If your translated document has become lost or damaged, you can request a replacement within 12 months of the original translation application submission date.

Which documents can I get translated?

Almost any document related to immigration processes can be translated. These include academic transcripts, birth certificates, driver licences (excluding international driver license), employment documents, identity documents, police clearance certificates, etc. 

See here the full list of eligible documents.